Are you getting ready to choose a new garage door for your home? Here are a few things you should know before you begin your search.
Types of Doors
There are several types of garage doors to consider investing in for your home. They each function and look a little differently, so they are all worth looking into. However, one or more of these options may not work with the type of garage opening or design your house features. Here are three popular types of garage doors you should know about:
- The Sectional — This is the most common type of garage door that is made up of a series of horizontal panels that roll up and against the garage ceiling when opened. Many sectional garage doors are motor-powered, but some are still designed for manual operation.
- The Swing Out — This type of garage door features two door panels that are hinged to either side of the garage. The doors meet together in the middle of the door space to create a wall when closed. It is not easy to open this type of door after a big snow, so it is most appropriate for calm to moderate climates.
- The Slider — Like the swing-out door, this type of door features two separate panels. But instead of being hinged to the edges of the garage door opening, they slide together and apart like barn doors typically do. The slider door offers a traditional look and feel, but with modern functionality.
Kinds of Materials
There are a few different kinds of materials that garage doors are made of nowadays. While wooden options are still available, most homeowners prefer to go with a material option such as the following:
- Steel — It is strong, durable, holds up well to all weather conditions, and requires little maintenance as time goes on.
- Vinyl — It is light yet durable and features a thick foam center for optimal insulation, which is important if you use your garage for more than just vehicle storage.
- Glass — This is the option to choose if you are going for a contemporary or modern look. It is less durable and more fragile than other options but is built to last for many years.
You should also know that the cost of taking your old garage door out and installing your new one is not typically included in the purchase price of new doors. Therefore, you will either must spend some money on tools and time on doing the work yourself. Otherwise, you can pay your service provider to do the legwork for you. Either way, you can expect to spend a little more for your garage door than what the price tag says — so budget accordingly.
For more information, contact a garage door service.